Washington, Feb. 2, 2015- The Congressional Hispanic Leadership Institute (CHLI) hosted its New Member of Congress Welcome Reception at Altria in Washington, on Jan. 21, 2015. Members of Congress, CHLI Board of Directors, CHLI Corporate Advisory Council members were joined by national Hispanic leaders, sponsors and friends to welcome the 114thU.S. Congress.
The evening started with a welcome by the reception host, John Hoel. "I was glad to have had the honor of hosting one of CHLI's events at Altria's offices. As a member of the CHLI Board of Directors, I am grateful to be working with an organization that focuses its efforts on the importance of education, our future leaders and diversity," said John Hoel.
John Hoel, Altria and CHLI Board Member
The CHLI Chairman, The Honorable Lincoln Diaz-Balart, welcomed over 200 guests to the reception. He introduced his friend and new Member of Congress, Congressman Carlos Curbelo from Florida.
CHLI Chairman, The Honorable Lincoln Diaz-Balart
"It was a pleasure to recognize a new Member of Congress and friend, Congressman Carlos Curbelo from Florida. We also had an opportunity to hear from the other Congressional Members who serve on CHLI's board about their goals for the new Congress," said CHLI Chairman, the Honorable Lincoln Diaz-Balart.
Congressman Carlos Curbelo
Congressman Curbelo remarked on the importance of education and made a commitment to support CHLI and specifically the youth leadership development programs. Congressman Curbelo will serve on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, Education and the Workforce Committee, and the Committee on Small Business.
"CHLI is an organization that takes pride in the difference we are able to make for our country's youth, our future leaders. Thank you to all our Congressional and Corporate Board Members, our Corporate Advisory Council, and everyone who has always supported our organization and mission. I am looking forward to another year of great advances for our community," said CHLI Chairman, The Honorable Lincoln Diaz-Balart.
CHLI Congressional Board Members: Congressman Henry Cuellar, Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and Congressman Mario Diaz-Balart
During the event, CHLI Congressional Board Members, Henry Cuellar (TX-28), Mario Diaz-Balart (FL-25), Bill Flores (TX-17), Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (FL-27) and David G. Valadao (CA-21), all addressed the crowd. They thanked everyone for supporting CHLI and spoke about education, internships, energy, commerce, the Hispanic community and the importance of working across the aisle.
The CHLI Board of Directors are very proud of our CHLI Congressional Board Members who will serve the 114thCongress in key committees. They will serve on the following committees.
- CHLI Vice Chairman,Congressman Mario Diaz-Balart, will serve on the House of Representatives Committee on Appropriations. He is the Chairman of that Committee's Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing and Urban Development. He is also on these subcommittees: Defense, State, Foreign Operations and Related Programs. Additionally, he is a member of the House of Representatives Committee on the Budget.
- CHLI Vice Chairman,Congressman Henry Cuellar, also serves on, the House of Representatives Committee on Appropriations and is on the Homeland Security Subcommittee and the State, Foreign Operations and Related Programs Subcommittee.
- CHLI Board Member,Congressman Bill Flores, will serve on the Energy and Commerce Committee. He also shared during the reception that he is the Chairman of the Republican Study Committee (RSC).
- CHLI Board Member,Congressman Raul Labrador, is a member of the House Committee on the Judiciary, and its corresponding subcommittees: Immigration and Border Security and Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security and Investigations. Congressman Labrador is also a member of the Natural Resources Committee and a member of the Oversight and Investigation, Energy and Mineral Resources and Federal Lands Subcommittees.
- CHLI Founding Member,Congressman Devin Nunes, is the Chairman of the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. He is also a member of the Committee on Means and Ways.
- CHLI Board Member,Representative Pedro Pierluisi, is a member of the House Committee on the Judiciary and of the Committee on Natural Resources.
- CHLI Board Member,Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, is a member of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs and Chairwoman of the Subcommittee on the Middle East and North Africa. She is also a member of the Intelligence Committee.
- CHLI Board Member,Congressman Albio Sires, is a member of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs. His subcommittee assignments include: Western Hemisphere and Europe, Eurasia and Emerging Threats. Moreover, he is the ranking member in the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.
- CHLI Board Member,Congressman David G. Valadao, is a member of the House of Representatives Committee on Appropriations. He will serve on several subcommittees: Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration; Energy and Water Development; and Transportation, Housing and Urban Development.
From left to right: Mary Ann Gomez, CHLI Executive Director; Emilio Gonzalez, Verizon; Oswaldo Chica-Reyes, Accenture; Patrice Webb, American Beverage Association; Edward Loya, Jr., Venable; Nathalie Rayes, Azteca America; Rudy Beserra, Coca-Cola Company; The Honorable Lincoln Diaz-Balart; Susan Santana, AT&T; Congressman David Valadao; Orlando Padilla, Padilla Networks; David Olivencia, Softtek; Stephen Halloway, International Law Institute; Angela Arboleda, Herbalife; Juan Otero, Comcast; John Hoel, Altria; Lauren Robitaille, Walmart; Ray Dempsey, BP America and Ivette Fernandez.
"Congratulations to all Members of Congress! We are thrilled to have been able to host this event for the 114thCongress. CHLI is grateful for its supportive and encouraging board members and corporate advisory council members. A special congratulations to our Congressional Members who are serving our country in key committees," said Mary Ann Gomez, CHLI Executive Director.
CHLI's Board of Directors and Corporate Advisory Council would like to congratulate all Members of Congress on their committee assignments and offer a special thank you to Altria's, John Hoel, for hosting the reception, to Coca-Cola's, Rudy Beserra, for sponsoring this event and to the Latino Coalition's, Hector Barreto, our CHLI reception partner.Thank you as well to Argus Events & Marketing for their assistance in planning the successful reception.
To view additional photos of the reception, check CHLI's Facebook Page.